Monday, January 7, 2008

Cooking Adventures


In an attempt to redeem my cooking abilities, I've been hunting down ingredients for curries, soups, and sauces. It's costing me a fortune! This basil cost me $3.74 CAD.

Why is cooking redemtion necessary, you ask?

It all started last year when Kelly and I were roomates. I wouldn't get home until 7:00pm everyday so she would make dinner and I would do the dishes. It worked out great because I was usually starving by the time I got home and she hates doing dishes. We continued this tradition here in Seoul, except I would go over to her apartment for eating and do her dishes there. This worked out fine until about October when she had meetings with teachers or other things to do at school. I quickly made dinner dates with Richard, Jeff and Jen. And so we joked about my inability to cook for myself.

What was once a joke has somehow become fact. While at the grocery store with Richard yesterday, he asked what I was looking for. When I replied, "spices" he was puzzled beyond belief, paused for a moment, and said, "but you don't cook." I promptly punched him in the gut and went on to explain that I do indeed cook, I just haven't cooked lately... for the past year (or more).

And so, tomorrow will be bring another journey out into Seoul in an attempt to find curry paste, coconut milk, and cumin. Dear lord it's hard to find cumin in this city.

No comments: